According to the American Heart Association, one in three adults has hypertension or high blood pressure. This is why about 25% of all medications are for people with hypertension. Unfortunately, long term use of such medications is often unsafe and they could lead to other health consequences, such as heart attacks, metabolism disorders, and calcium absorption interference.
The good news is that you can turn to herbal options when it comes to lowering your high blood pressure. Here are the effective remedies that you can use:
1. Basil: This delicious herb is famous for being a part of dishes, but it can also provide you with nutrients and active ingredients that can lower your BP. Basil acts as an antioxidant, ant tumorigenic, antibacterial, and anti-mutagenic, while lowering your blood pressure levels. It does so by helping the body cope with stress and promoting good blood flow and thinning.
2. Cinnamon: This spice has magnesium, which when combined with healthy diet and exercise can result to lower blood pressure levels up to 25mmHg. It has been proven in many studies that eating meals with cinnamon every day can lower blood pressure in people who have diabetes.
3. Passion Flower: This herb can lower your stress levels and therefore lower your blood pressure. Remember that anxiety and stress can increase your BP, but passion flower can help you sleep at night, which can lead to lower blood pressure.
4. Lavender: Massaging with lavender oil is said to be effective in reducing BP levels up to 50%. This is because the oil is a vasodilator, which means it can help the blood vessels become more relaxed, so that blood flow is much easier.
5. Oregano: This herb has carvacrol, which is effective in lowering blood pressure. It does so by slowing down your heart rate and allowing the arteries to relax. Instead of adding more salt to your food, use oregano to give your meals a boost.
6. Valerian: This herb is used as a natural tranquilizer, which is why it is effective in lowering blood pressure and relaxing the muscles. Valerian can help lower your stress levels, so you become calmer and avoid anxiety.
Stress is one of the leading causes of high blood pressure. While there are medications that can alleviate stress, you can turn to herbs instead to naturally lower your BP. If you have hypertension, be sure to add them to your meals on a regular basis to improve your blood pressure levels.