One of the best things about cucumbers is that they are mostly comprised of water. Eating them is not something you should fear even when you’re on a diet because they are very low in calories. A really large cucumber is not even 100 calories, but it is very nutritious.
Whether you eat them fresh or pickled, cucumbers can give you health benefits including the following:
- Helps maintain hydration: if there’s no glass or bottle of water available, but you have some cucumbers at hand, you can just munch on them and they will be enough to keep you hydrated. Cucumbers are about 96% water, so eating them is almost the same as drinking a glass of water.
- Relieves heartburn: If you keep suffering from heartburn after eating, you may want to have some cucumbers in stock. They can help you find relief when acid reflux attacks.
- Relieves pain from sunburn: Sunburns can be painful and uncomfortable. Applying cucumbers gently on your skin can help you feel so much better.
- Removes harmful toxins: The water content of cucumbers is not only good for hydrating the body as it is also great for flushing out toxins. Think of it as a virtual broom that sweeps waste products out of the body, so you can feel fresher and become healthier.
- Dissolves kidney stones: There are studies that suggest cucumbers can help remove kidney stones by dissolving them. Although this effect is not immediate, continuous consumption of this fruit is known to liquefy those stones.
- Provides healthy vitamins: Cucumbers are not only juicy and low in calories, but are also high in vitamins. They contain vitamins A, B, and C. These three vitamins are known to boost the immune system’s functionality, provide you with energy, and keep your skin looking radiant.
- Gives more minerals: Aside from vitamins, cucumbers are also rich in minerals, including potassium, silicon, and magnesium. All these three minerals are great for your skin. This is why it is common for spas to use cucumbers in their treatments.
- Alleviates eye bags: Dark circles around the eyes and puffy eyes don’t make you look attractive. Chill some slices of cucumber and place them on the eyes before you sleep. This known beauty regime can remove those annoying eye issues.
- Reduces cancer risk: There are several studies that show how cucumbers are great for reducing cancer risk.
When picking cucumbers, choose those that are firm and dark green in color. Enjoy these fruits that are naturally full of health benefits.