Back in 2004, scientists at the USDA investigated more than 100 foods for their antioxidant content and two varieties of apples were at the 12th and 13th ranking. Apples are indeed rich in antioxidants that are disease fighters. Apples also have fiber, particularly this type called pectin, which is a soluble, viscous, and fermentable fiber. With this combination, it is no wonder that apples are among the foods that have a huge list of health benefits.
1. Prevent cataracts. Long term studies claimed that people who eat apples and other fruits that are rich in antioxidants have lower chances of developing cataracts.
2. Boost immunity. Another great benefit of eating apples every day is that it can strengthen your immune system. Red apples especially have Quercetin, which is an antioxidant that can fortify your immunity. Eat apples when you are stressed to increase the effect.
3. Cleanse the liver. Because we are constantly acquiring toxins from the food we eat and our environment, this could eventually harm the liver as it is responsible for cleansing out the toxins. While there are many fad diets that claim to detoxify the liver, there’s a more natural and much easier way to cleanse and that is to simply eat apples.
4. Manage weight. If you’re having problems with your weight, such as being overweight, this may be due to an underlying condition. There are many health issues associated with being overweight, including heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and even sleep apnea. You can manage your weight and one of the best methods is to have a diet that is rich in fiber. Apples are among the foods that are loaded with fiber, which can fill you up for hours without you consuming a lot of calories.
5. Prevent hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are not life threatening although they are swollen veins in your anal canal, which means they are extremely painful. If you are having problems with your bowel movements, which may have led to having hemorrhoids, you need higher amounts of fiber in your diet. Eat apples every day to receive the fiber your body needs.
6. Avert gallstones. If you have too much cholesterol and this accumulated in your bile, it will solidify and turn to gallstones. These stones are usually found in obese people. Doctors recommend a diet that has high amounts of fiber to prevent gallstones. Once again, apples can help you control your weight while keeping the formation of gallstones at bay.
Apples are not only juicy and delicious, but nutritious as well. When eating apples, remember to eat the peel as the fiber and the antioxidants can be found in the skin of the fruit.